Need help to fix steam error code 118? Well, we have researched a lot to find its solution and here are the some of the most likely fixes that you can apply to resolve this error in very easy and quick way.
Before to continue If you don’t know more about troubleshooting then be sure to check out dedicated Steam hub or you can get full support from the official site.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Steam Error Code 118?
Steam Error Code 118 arise for some users when they try to open the Steam Store or Library from Steam. The error message states:
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.
And when user sees this message on screen, user can’t access the Steam Store or Library. So now to resolve Steam Error Code 118, we can try these potential fixes:
#1. Restart router
This is a simple and smart way to fix error code 118. First, restart your router or unplug the router power source.
Now wait a few minutes before plugging the router back in and then wait a few more minutes before opening Steam.
#2. Clean boot Windows
- Conflicting 3rd party applications and software can generate Steam Error Code 118, which a clean boot will resolve. — To clean boot Windows 10, launch Run with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Type ‘msconfig’ in Run and click OK.
- Now in General tab, click on the Selective startup radio button.
- Uncheck the Load selected startup check box.
- Select the Load system services and Use original boot configuration settings there.
- Click the Services tab shown directly below.
- There select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, which removes more essential services from the list.
- Then select the Disable all option to deselect all the third-party services.
- Next, click the Apply option.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
- Click Restart on the dialog box that pops up.
Open Steam after clean-booting Windows. If error code is now resolved then it means the services of one of the third-party startup programs was conflicting with Steam.
Read Also: How to change steam password?
So here you’ll need to figure out exactly which program or service is conflicting with the software by restoring startup items one at a time.
If still have some doubts then you could just leave the boot settings as they are and try the #3 way to fix this issue.
#3. Check if Windows Defender Firewall is blocking Steam
- The Windows OS Defender Firewall might be blocking Steam functionality.
- To check, press the Windows key + S hotkey to open the search utility.
- Type firewall in the search box that opens.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet for it.
- Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall on the left of the firewall’s applet.
- Click Change settings to adjust firewall app permissions on the left side of the window.
- Then check that the Public and Private check boxes for the Steam Client are selected. If they’re not, select both those check boxes.
- Click OK button to exit.
Some third-party antivirus utilities have firewalls too. Therefore, some users might need to disable their 3rd part antivirus programs.
The disable process is very simple, just right-click the antivirus software’s system try icon to open its context menu and here you’ll see a disable option that will turn off the antivirus software.
#4. Run an antivirus scan
- A virus might also be responsible for Steam Error Code 118.
- To scan with Windows 10’s default antivirus utility, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Input the keyword Windows Security, and then click that app to open it.
- Click Scan options on the Virus & threat protection tab shown directly below.
- Select the Full scan option.
- Press the Scan now button.
#5. Check Internet connection or speed
A slow internet also generates this issue. In case of slow internet, the client is unable to connect to its database and this popups error code 118.
So make sure you have been a running working internet connection and getting good connecting speed. This may fix the steam 118 error code issue!
Well guys, those are some of the resolutions that could fix Steam Error Code 118. If none of the above resolutions work then do check if Steam is down at Downdetector.com website. Maybe it is Steam server outage issue that users can’t fix at any cost.
Is Steam free?
Yes, downloading & installing of steam is completely free, without any hidden costs whatsoever. And later you can also use it for free. To recover maintenance cost ,they just show the ads and this will cover their cost.
How can I stop Steam from launching at Startup?
This is fairly simple. Simply follow the steps:
Open Steam > Click the Steam menu > Settings > Interface tab – Uncheck the box that says Run Steam when my computer starts
Can I find my friends on Steam?
Yes, you can find the friends on Steam…!
So this is all about the steam error code 118. If you liked it the please share it with other and keep visiting blog for more updates!