If your iPhone not showing up in iTunes or iTunes not recognizing your device, the best solution is to try to reconnect the iPhone or restart your phone. If you are still facing the issue, check the solutions available in this article.
In the present day, iPhone users still connect their mobile to their laptops for different purposes like transferring music or video or take backup.
But sometimes, the laptop does not recognize the device. No matter the computer is Windows or Mac, the problem occurs at any point.
The following are the solutions to the iPhone not showing up in iTunes:
- Check cable connection issues or damaged cable.
- Clean iPhone port or jack.
- iTunes requires an update.
- Update Apple mobile device driver.
- iTunes version mismatch.
- Update Location and Privacy settings.
- Uninstall or stop security software not to block the connection.
- Your iPhone requires a restart.
- iTunes needs to be repaired.
- Apple mobile USB driver needs an update.
Basically, restarting the mobile can resolve the issue. But if the problem persists, try these steps to fix the problem.
1. Check Cable Connection
A good solution to the problem. Many times there is a connection problem due to loose cable or damaged wire.
Check both ends of the cable and also inspect the whole cable to find if any damage is there.
- If you find the cable is not damaged, try to reconnect iPhone to the laptop properly inserting the cable in both slots.
- If the problem still persists, try to replace the cable or try with another cable. If you get a proper connection, your wire is either damaged or need to replace.
Before buying a new cable, check with another cable if available.
2. Check and Clean iPhone Port
Sometimes, the iPhone port or you can say iPhone jack won’t work. The basic reasons will be either the port is not clean or the jack has defected.
- Try to clean the port with a clean brush. Don’t be harsh. Clean gently or you damage the jack.
- If cleaning is not solving the problem, the port may be damaged. Try to charge the mobile and check if the port and the cable is fine.
Cleaning removes the particle from the port that breaks the connection. If the jack is damaged, contact with customer support or go to the service center.
3. iTunes Requires an Update
Check out the version of the iTunes your are using and also on your iPhone. If your system has an old version, try to update the iTunes. This can fix the problem of iTunes not showing the iPhone.
Follow these steps to update iTunes:
- On Mac, click on the Apple icon available at the upper left corner of your iPhone.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select option Software Update.
- macOS system updated will be checked, including main applications like iTunes, Safari etc.
For windows, there are two ways you can update iTunes directly.
- Apple Website: Go to the help section in the menu bar and select Check for Updates. Apple software update will now update your iTunes. Just follow a few prompts.
- Microsoft Store Version: Open the Microsoft store app and hit on three dots menu button available at the top right corner. Choose Download and Updated. Hit Get Updated option on the top right.
When iTunes gets updated, try to reconnect the iPhone. If still issue persists, try the next step.
4. Update Apple Mobile Device Driver – Windows Users
Many times, its not the hardware but the system drivers that makes the iTunes not recognizing the iPhone.
Try to update Apple mobile device driver from the system manager.
To do so, follow these steps:
- On your computer, right-click My computer, hit on Properties and select Device Manager.
- In portable devices, find Apple mobile device, i.e. Apple iPhone. Right-click on Apple mobile USB driver.
- From the options, select Update Driver Software. This will open a window showing the device is now updating.
- After the update, restart your system and try to reconnect the iPhone.
If you get a failed to update message, download driver from the internet and try to reinstall.
You can also install driver from your system. Open the command prompt and enter following command:
>> %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
This will open a window, and you will get a file. Right-click on that file and install the driver.
After installation, restart your PC and try to connect iPhone with iTunes.
5. Update Settings: Location and Privacy
The don’t trust button is also one of the reasons that iPhone not showing up in iTunes. When we first connect the iPhone to a laptop or mac, we get an option of trust. Sometimes, we accidentally click on the NO option, and this causes your iPhone not to trust your PC.
It is just a privacy setting which we can change easily. Follow these steps to update privacy settings in your iPhone:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Then go to General and then Reset.
- Select Reset Location and Privacy settings.
- Your setting will get reset.
Not connect to the PC, and your phone will populate that option again. Click on Trust this time and your device will get connected.
Note: This will also clean other app settings also.
6. Block or Stop Security Software
Not recommended, but sometimes security software also blocks the connection request and make iTunes not recognizing the iPhone.
Security software is very important for any device to secure the system from attacks and viruses. But this software can also stop the connection between two devices if the request looks suspicious.
You can do the following activities with your security software:
- Uninstall the software from MAC or Windows.
- Stop the antivirus until you finish your work.
- Remove the antivirus from the device manager until you restart your system.
Try to connect iPhone with iTunes after removing security software. If the issue still persists, that means there is no issue with the software.
7. Restart the iPhone and PC
Not the last solution, but try this step once. Restarting the iPhone also restarts the background applications and services.
This can restart the connection services also. Restart your iPhone and then try to connect with iTunes.
Also, restart your computer and remove and reconnect the iPhone using a cable.
8. Repair or Reinstall iTunes
This is also a good solution for iPhone not showing up in iTunes. iTunes is also a software, and there are chances of iTunes got corrupted.
Try to reinstall or repair the iTunes and then check the connection with the iPhone. This will definitely solve the problem.
To repair iTunes, follow these steps:
- Launch iTunes and click on the option iTunes Repair from the home interface.
- Choose iTunes Connection/Backup/Restore Errors and select Scan Now. It will scan the component errors your iTunes got.
- Hit the Fix Now button, and you have to give AnyFix authorization on your computer.
- Then AnyFix will start repairing you iTunes in the system.
- After a few minutes, you will see the update completed screen.
Now iPhone will show up in iTunes correctly. This is also the best solution for your iTunes doesn’t recognize the iPhone.
iPhone still not Showing up in iTunes?
After this much work, if iPhone is not showing up in iTunes, its time to hit the customer care center and check with the experts. They will check the device properly and will give you a perfect and permanent solution to the problem.